[Tagging] tagging for discount stores in US

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Fri May 7 01:30:55 BST 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 7:13 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> well, yes, but within the US at least, i think there's broad agreement
>> that one tier of department
>> store (walmart, kmart, target) is "discount" with respect to another
>> (macys, pennys, nordstrom, etc.)
>
> The same thing is true of Australia...

I disagree that there's "broad agreement" here on what stores are
"discount" stores.

I've never heard anyone in Australia refer to Kmart or Target as a
"discount" store. I have heard this word used for, say, "Crazy Clarks"
or "Dollars and Sense". But I would have trouble objectively defining
what it is, exactly, that makes "Crazy Clarks" a "discount" store.

Seeing "discount=yes" tagged on a Target store would confuse me.