[Tagging] Draft - new barrier values

Richard Finegold goldfndr+osm at gmail.com
Fri May 14 15:32:17 BST 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 21:21, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14 May 2010 13:12, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do we agree there is a basic goal of getting everyone to tag the same
>> way? Perhaps the "propose-comment-vote-implemented" lifecycle is not
>> right, but "just start using these values" is too weak. How would you
>> know if anyone else was using some similar scheme but with different
>> tags?
>
> You missed the important point I made, which was the bit about these
> types of tags being incosequential in the entire scheme of things,
> documenting them is more important than any vote when it won't have
> any great effect on anything else.
>
> Besides some people already advocate tagging should be based on usage
> as a defacto standard, rather than a vote which only a fraction of a
> tiny minority bother to have anything to do with, 15 out of 200,000+
> users doesn't really say much, or even 15 out of 10,000+ active
> users...

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Template:Map_Features:barrier is
the template used for barriers in the Map Features wiki page. The
existence of this template arguably makes the tags consequential in
the entire scheme, as Map Features is self-described as "a core
recommended feature set and corresponding tags".