[Tagging] Green areas that are not parks (revisited)

"Petr Morávek [Xificurk]" xificurk at gmail.com
Fri May 14 18:26:10 BST 2010

> you are talking about "abusing" a tag, and then citing
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dgarden where the
> third sentence is: "The most common form is known as a residential
> garden."

That's the part of copied text from wikipedia, that really significantly
changed the meaning of leisure=garden page on OSM wiki. Take a look at
the history, only few weeks ago the content said something completely
different (although it was marked as a stub).
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:leisure%3Dgarden&oldid=437641

> You can argue here as much as you like but I know many areas where
> residential gardens are already tagged with leisure=garden so there is
> not much to do (If you don't want to check all 27550 current uses of
> leisure=garden (tagwatch)).

Yes, a lot of those areas are here in Czech Republic, that's why I
brought this up, because we were discussing it in talk-cz and did not
came to any definite conclusion - some think this is an inappropriate
usage (like I do), some think it's ok.
Anyway, the page of leisure=garden was recently significantly changed
not only in the level of detail, but the meaning of this tag seems to be
shifted by this added content. In current state I can't see any clear
definition/description of what this tag should be used for.
As you said there is already a lot of leisure=garden areas, so the clear
criteria for its usage should be resolved rather sooner then later, when
the number grows even bigger. If anyone is able to give me a clear
description of the meaning of this tag (that would include cut grass
behind a family house), I'll shut up and use it according to that
definition.
But right now, all I know is that in last few weeks the OSM wiki page
changed its description from quite a clear and narrow meaning to a vague
description of general "green" areas.

Regards,
Petr Morávek