[Tagging] Playground tag proposal - voting

antony.king antony.king at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri May 14 20:53:02 BST 2010

My view was that baby=yes was shorthand for minage=0, maxage=about 4 -
more a recommendation of age appropriateness than a hard limit. Also
it was intended for the equipment rather than the whole play area -
though in the unlikely case of an entire play area being for babies
there wouldn't be any reason not to apply it to the whole area. Swings
are the most common case, though there are baby slides and roundabouts
near us as well.

I suppose what makes it for babies is that there is some postural
support, or some form of restraint for small children who don't have
the sense not to stand up and wander off while they are (say) at the
highest point on a swing! The age is inexact, which makes it hard to
specify. Or the equipment is very small, such that a fall from the top
of it wouldn't damage a very young child.

minage and maxage are in fairly common usage which is why I put them
on the proposal - to cover the cases where the operators of the play
area give a specific age/height range.

Antony.