[Tagging] Parking for businesses..

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Tue May 18 03:38:34 BST 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 12:11 AM, Tyler Gunn <tyler at egunn.com> wrote:

> 1. What should the "access" for these parking lots be?  access=public
> would seem to be appropriate, but in some regards that's not entirely
> accurate.  Almost all of these types of parking lots will have some kind of
> notice that tow-away is enforced for unauthorized parking.  So the general
> idea is you're free to park there, ONLY if you're visiting the businesses
> serviced by the lot.
> So would access=permissive (The owner gives general permission for
> access.) or access=destination (The public has right of access only if this
> is the only road to your destination.) be more appropriate?

>From http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Parking:
"The distinction between public parking lots, customer parking lots
(such as at cinemas etc.), and private parking lots (such as for staff
in a business park) is handled with access=* tags."

To me, reading that directly that would seem to suggest using one of
three values:
access=public, or
access=customer, or
access=private.

Of these, in your case you would clearly use access=customer.

But there may be other opinions out there. Ideally, we do want to make
sure the documented access=* values for parking are 1) verifiable, 2)
mutually-exclusive, 3) useful.

> 2. Should I bother naming these parking lots?

If they have names, go for it. But only if they have names (I'm
assuming they don't!)