[Tagging] Parking for businesses..

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Tue May 18 06:10:23 BST 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 1:52 PM, Tyler Gunn <tyler at egunn.com> wrote:

> > From http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Parking:
> > "The distinction between public parking lots, customer parking lots
> > (such as at cinemas etc.), and private parking lots (such as for staff
> > in a business park) is handled with access=* tags."
> > To me, reading that directly that would seem to suggest using one of
> > three values:
> > access=public, or
> > access=customer, or
> > access=private.
>
> I'd agree with the 3 values you proposed though; really access=customer is
> the only new one.
>
> Makes sense to me too because it allows for a true distinction between
> general public parking (like multi-story parkades that are in the business
> of parking cars regardless of where the people are going), and parking lots
> intended to service the customers of a store, business, etc.

I propose to add the following to the Parking wiki page, in the table
of the "Tags" section, as follows:
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Parking)

Column "Key": access
Column "Value": public/customer/private
Column "Element": [node or area]
Column "Comment": Specify the intended users of the parking lot.
access=public if intended for the general public, access=customer if
intended only for those who are visiting nearby shops/amenities, or
access=private if access is more restrictive than access=customer
(e.g. for staff only, or requiring specific permission).

Thoughts? The main problem is that if we propose those values of
access=* specifically for amenity=parking's, this is not consistent
with http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Access. I don't think that
would be a big issue, though - just add something on
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Access such as "The tag access=*
has a different meaning when applied to an amenity=parking feature."

Alternatively, for parking, use the key "use" (as a noun) instead of
access, as in use=public/customer/private. Again...thoughts?