[Tagging] Fixed position GPS receivers

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed May 19 13:01:01 BST 2010

2010/5/19 John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>:
> how about using man_made=gps_monitoring_station instead then?

yes, I'd say that's much better, even though I would probably stick a
note that this is about plate tectonics monitoring.

> While that is a nice idea, it doesn't pan out that way in reality for
> various reasons, eg I'm a native english speaker and had no idea what
> highway=ford meant, to me it's a causeway but to OSM a causeway is
> something completely different, you are going to get regional
> differences that will necessitate wiki lookups or localised
> translations even from english in a different regional version of
> english.

yes, I guess it helps more to speak German ;-). In German highway=ford
translates to "Furt" and this is the definition in OSM. Mostly you can
guess the meaning of tags by typing them into an
English-German-dictionary and look up the various meanings in German.

cheers,
Martin