[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (Garden specification)

"Petr Morávek [Xificurk]" xificurk at gmail.com
Sat May 22 19:36:34 BST 2010

John Smith napsal(a):
> On 22 May 2010 20:13, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2010/5/19 "Petr Morávek [Xificurk]" <xificurk at gmail.com>:
>>> I see your point... I think the wiki definition of
>>> landuse=recreation_ground is a bit in conflict with common sense (like
>>> the leisure=garden was) and it should be changed.
>>
>> I don't think so. Recreation ground is a term that is refering to
>> sports, even though it's name seems to be more generic.
>
> In Australia at least, recreation grounds are usually pretty specific
> areas used for things like horse sports.

I admit, I'm not from English speaking country, so I have no idea if
this term has any specific meaning, my interpretation is based on
understanding it from sources like wikipedia and my own knowledge of
English language.
Even though Wikipedia says recreation isn't completely the same as
leisure - that 'recreation' is more active way of spending free time
(e.g. sport) than 'leisure' (e.g. reading a book in a park), all tags
relating sports in OSM are under leisure, so I think it's no big deal.
But I may be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time :-)).
Anyway, what do you think is an appropriate landuse value for areas like
public gardens and parks? By the way, you can do for example jogging in
a park, so I would say those two terms at least overlap in those areas.

Regards,
Petr Morávek