[Tagging] Proposed feature : World wide place=* standardisation only based on population

Cartinus cartinus at xs4all.nl
Fri May 28 20:47:31 BST 2010

On Friday 28 May 2010 13:16:30 sly (sylvain letuffe) wrote:
> On jeudi 27 mai 2010, Roy Wallace wrote:
> > I like your motivation. But maybe it's not necessary. Using
> > population=* achieves the same goal.
>
> Yes it does, and it does much more precisely, this is the utimate solution.
> Unfortunetly, having access to this information is much harder when you are
> driving your car thru, than a rough estimate that gives you the
> "approximate size of a hamlet" (I have to admit that the upper part of the
> scale is kind of useless as population data is much easier to get in those
> cases)

If you can find some source for a population number you put it in a
population= tag.

If you make an estimate about a population size then you can put it in a
est_population= tag like we do with other things like estimated road widths.

Like so many other people have told you: Population size is only a part of
what makes a place important.

--
m.v.g.,
Cartinus