[Tagging] quarries in engineering

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 10:32:07 GMT 2010

2010/11/6 John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>:
> On 6 November 2010 05:05, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> quarry, or would that be missleading? I know that these are all
>> open-cast mines, but the wikipedia entry for quarry seems somehow not
>> precise enough when it comes to delimiting the usage.
>
> The main difference between quarry and open [cut|cast|pit] mining is
> the scale...
>
> quarries tend to be on the smaller end of the scale, where as open cut
> mining can be quite large...

I thought that there was no doubt that quarry is a type of open cast
mine. I read this in different sources. Of course if you say "open
cast mining" nowadays, (beeing a generic term) you will be presented
the most spectacular types where other words do not exist, while for a
quarry you would search "quarry", even though it is a type of open
cast mine.

Cheers,
Martin