[Tagging] I started a draft on a new "main" key culture

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 17:09:40 GMT 2010

2010/11/7 Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net>:
> In general I like this proposal, but given that this changes a substantial
> number of very well used tags that go back to almost the beginning of the
> project it is essential to describe how existing data will be migrated
> across, tools updated, mappers notified, etc.
some

IMHO we could simply start using it. Tools will get amended
"automatically", as soon as a substancial number of items is tagged
with it. If there is a general agreement we could also use a bot to
add the tag to existing items. As soon as all (or most) "major"
applications have added the tag we could mark deprecated the old tags
in the wiki and discourage usage. This has been done for e.g.
highway=gate

> The other job, similar to the shop key, will be to elaborate a longer list
> of values and to clearly disambiguate between them. For example, how does
> one draw the line between art_gallery / museum

Yes, I committed a mistake here, was in a hurry, it better should be
museum:genre=art_gallery actually.  This is the way it is done in
theatre and it works well.

> , between nightclub /
> music_venue,

are they relevant here?

> between historical monuments/memorials and art_works, etc.

there doesn't have to be any distinction: if it is a memorial, tag it
historic=memorial, if it qualifies at the same time for artwork, tag
it with culture=artwork as well.

Cheers,
Martin