[Tagging] I started a draft on a new "main" key culture

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 17:36:12 GMT 2010

2010/11/7 Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at googlemail.com>:
> I came to the conclusion, that deciding if e.g. a museum better fits in
> tourism or leisure is pointless - as it is both and the decision will
> largely depend on your personal bias and the museum in question.

yes, and both is not suitable to give a good description, as "leisure"
and "tourism" both mean almost nothing: leisure is everything you do
when you are not payed, tourists do all kind of stuff according to
their personal inclination. It could also be "tourism=beach" which
most Germans would maybe find OK, while if you live somewhere with a
beach you would say that the beach is "yours" (as well).

> You may have a look at recent versions of JOSM. I have spend quite some time
> thinking about how to put these into the preset menu so that it makes sense.
> The solution that made most sense to me (and doesn't take care too much
> about the existing tags) is:
>
> - tourism
> - culture
> - leisure

this sounds reasonable. I wanted for a long time to have culture, but
my last attempts couldn't find support some time ago...

> Limit tourism to signposts, information bureaus and alike.

+1. Not sure for tourism=viewpoint. Is OK IMHO, but could also become
a key (viewpoint=yes/<some more explicit value>)

> Deciding between culture and leisure is a lot easier then ...

IMHO leisure is not a very good key either and the definition is too
inclusive ("is a Key for all the places where people go for
recreation/leisure."), because some people go to the library, others
to the beach, others in the mountains, some like to read, some go
cycling, some go mapping, ... I'd say the key (definition) is weak
because you can put almost everything into it by this definition. But
in reality it almost works, there is few stuff that doesn't belong to
a similar group of items:

Currently leisure lists the following main tags:

dog_park
sports_centre
golf_course
stadium
track
pitch
water_park
marina
slipway (is clearly a technical facility for boats and has nothing to
do with "leisure" IMHO).
fishing
nature_reserve
park
playground
garden
common
ice_rink
miniature_golf
dance
swimming_pool

So I don't want to touch leisure at the moment, though I see it less
general then "all you can do or need in your spare time" and more
focussed on sports and "official leisure activities" like fishing and
going to the park. I would not object on putting garden and park in
landuse though.

cheers,
Martin