[Tagging] I started a draft on a new "main" key culture

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sun Nov 7 21:13:52 GMT 2010

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 14:43:28 -0500
> Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
>
>> > It is true that they are at least partly a subgroup of amenity,
>> > which is by general judgement quite overcrowded at the moment.
>>
>> Overcrowded?  Less than 0.0000000000000000000000001% of possible
>> values are taken.
>
> How about containing too many to search effectively?

Search in what context?  How does arbitrarily partitioning into
overlapping categories make searching any easier?

One of the best things I ever did to facilitate searching my general
reference file drawers was to get rid of the multitude of arbitrary
overlapping categories.  Categories are great if you're dealing with a
system which allows some sort of symbolic linking, but when it comes
to storage of things which can only be at one location at a time,
categories don't work unless they consist of very carefully designed
partitions.  The great thing with storing things without categories is
you can always create an index outside of the actual storage location,
and that index can have *overlapping* categories in it.

Is is really obvious to everyone but me which of (archaeological_site,
art_gallery, artwork, bar, bookstore, cafe, cinema, dance, garden,
library, memorial, monument, museum, park, pub, sports_centre,
stadium, theatre, theme_park, and zoo) are supposed to be "culture"
and which are supposed to be some other key?