[Tagging] I started a draft on a new "main" key culture

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 08:24:32 GMT 2010

2010/11/7 Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net>:
> On 7 November 2010 18:34, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> Ah, Wikipedia, that well known internationally agreed source of definitions
> for words ;-) I forgot that we need to slavishly follow anything we spot in
> Wikipedia or that other well-worn blind alley one's online dictionary of
> choice.

Well, what is your definition of museum? I don't have to follow
slavishly wikipedia but I took this as a first indication.

> As I wrote on the wiki, we have separate amenity values for bar, pub and
> nightclub instead of amenity=drinking_establishment;

maybe that was already an error we shoudn't repeat?

> There is no rule that says, because art
> galleries are often considered a sort of museum, we must relegate "art
> gallery" to a sub-type of culture=museum.

I know, but I'd recommend it for now as it seems logical to me. I'm
not insisting on this, but there surely are other subtypes of museums.

> There is no problem with culture=museum, and since a great many art
> galleries don't describe themselves as museums it would be worse to make
> everyone use culture=museum plus some sub-tags.

hm, there is also museums for art that don't describe themselves as
art_galleries. Do you really suggest to separate them into different
tags according to their name or description?

cheers,
Martin