[Tagging] I started a draft on a new "main" key culture

Noel David Torres Taño envite at rolamasao.org
Mon Nov 8 08:35:33 GMT 2010

On Lunes 08 Noviembre 2010 08:20:06 M∡rtin Koppenhoefer escribió:
> 2010/11/8 Noel David Torres Taño <envite at rolamasao.org>:
> > I think we can simply say that "culture=museum" is for "every building or
> > intitution that names itself as", and let it have other key,
> > subordinated, like museum=art, museum=history, museum=technology,
> > museum=anthropology, museum=natural_history, museum=science. Thse cover
> > almost all possible museum uses,
>
> While this is probably true it would still be useful to subtag with
> finer grained tags. The military museum you mentioned should be
> identificable directly (but not necessary as a "main
> museum-genre-subtag". Also "art" can of course be extended to
> different types like print-room, paintings, sculpture, "new media"
> (mostly audio/video), ...
>
> As this is concerning subtagging for museums I don't think we should
> include the discussion about the details here but do it in a
> museum-dedicated thread (proposal).

Agree

I was only showing that we can have a tag culture=museum that we can discuss
later, and proposing a definition for it:

"culture=museum" is "every building or intitution that names itself as".

Art galleries are not museums, they are shops. If an institution SELLS art
works, it has to expose them in order for potential buyers to see, so it is
shop=something. If it does NOT SELL, it is culture=museum (even if it sells
reproductions, booklets, guides, postals and the such, which in turn can be a
subsection on the main bulding like shop=kiosk or the like).

So, MOMA (New York) or Museo del Prado (Madrid) are culture=museum, and David
Zwirner Gallery (New York) or CFA (Berlin) are not (shop=something).

Noel
er Envite