[Tagging] I started a draft on a new "main" key culture

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Mon Nov 8 10:33:32 GMT 2010

On 8 November 2010 10:25, Noel David Torres Taño <envite at rolamasao.org>wrote:

> On Lunes 08 Noviembre 2010 10:09:03 M∡rtin Koppenhoefer escribió:
>  > yes, we already have a shop value for art galleries that generally
> > sell the exposed works, but Tom was saying that we should distinguish
> > between museums that expose art but don't call themself an "art
> > gallery" and others that don't sell either but do only exhibitions and
> > call themself an "art gallery".
>
> So the difference here is between permanent exhibition (+ temporary ones)
> and
> only temporary exhibitions?

You could have:

culture=museum and museum=art (or similar) for museums that mainly have
permanent exhibitions of art (I don't know anywhere that only has permanent
exhibitions, as you note)

culture=art_gallery for art galleries that mainly have temporary exhibitions
(many do have some small permanent collections)

shop=art for shops that simply sell art works with no exhibitions

I would guess that in the UK there might be a tendency to use
culture=art_gallery where other nationalities might expect to see
culture=museum. So the wiki will need some clear cross-referencing.

I myself will have a hard time deciding whether some places in London are
museums or art galleries!

Regards,
Tom