[Tagging] landuse for arboretum

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Wed Nov 10 22:27:22 GMT 2010

On 10/11/2010 22:01, Richard Welty wrote:
> i'm currently doing the boundaries for the Pine Hollow Arboretum south
> of Albany NY.
>
> none of the current landuse/natural tags seem quite appropriate.
> landuse=forest
> and natural= wood are closest, but i'd hesitate to use either without a
> subtype
> tag indicating that it's specifically an arboretum (denoting a site
> where trees in
> a natural setting, not necessarily local to the site, may be viewed.)
>
> an arboretum sort of sits in the middle between the two classifications,
> it's managed in a limited way in that there are intentional plantings of
> interesting trees, but the management is limited in that dead trees
> may not be cleared, etc.
>
> i'm using landuse=forest for now, but would like to invite discussion
> of which main tag is really appropriate and what subtype tag might be used.

Wouldn't it be covered by leisure=garden? ie "Place where flowers and
other plants are grown in a decorative and structured manner or for
scientific purposes."
Its just it specifically focuses on trees, as opposed to flowers or
other plants.
Maybe with a subtag to specify it is an arboretum? There is a proposal
for extra tags for garden types:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Garden_specification

Though I do think that landuse=forest vs natural=wood is a mess. Better
to just use one tag for any area covered by trees, then use extra tags
for whether it is 'natural' or managed, what it is used for, and what
types of trees etc.