[Tagging] landuse for arboretum

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 11 08:08:38 GMT 2010

Am 11.11.2010 03:34, schrieb John Smith:
> On 11 November 2010 12:18, Nathan Edgars II<neroute2 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I'd prefer keeping landuse values at a minimum, and using subtags
>> where necessary. For example landuse=residential something=apartments,
>> not landuse=apartments. Would landuse=conservation work for an
>> arboretum?
>
> +1
>
> landuse=conservation
> conservation=botanical

I'd prefer to avoid a cascade of tags to describe something:

landuse=conservation
conservation=botanical
botanical=arboretum
arboretum=pinetum

beside, that I had to ask leo what conservation means and I'm still not
sure. Don't be too generic with tags.

Reading the Wikipedia article about it, an arboretum can be a small part
of a (botanical) garden, a special kind of botanical garden or even a
large forest that is used to preserve rare trees (and/or bushes).

So tag the main feature that fit's best and add the specifics:

leisure=garden (or landuse=forest or ...)
arboretum=yes (or arboretum=pinetum, ...)

Regards, ULFL