[Tagging] Busways

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 15 21:23:10 GMT 2010

On 14/11/2010 22:39, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 1:09 PM, esperanza<esperanza at no-log.org>  wrote:
>> Is it right to use busway or should we use another tag ? (like psv ?)
> psv includes taxis; use access=no bus=yes unless taxis are allowed.
The definition of psv will vary by territory. The "legal" term PSV in
the UK does not include taxis and I suspect this may be the case in many
places. Either document the definition of PSV per country, or avoid it
by using the "underlying" tags bus=* and taxi=* instead. And while we
are at it, let's distinguish between buses on local/scheduled services,
and other vehicles carrying lots of passengers, such as luxury coaches
(for holidays/excursions etc) as these are frequently treated as
distinct classes of vehicles for access restrictions.

This discussion illustrates some of the variability of the definition of
"buses only", and this is only talking about one city!
http://www.urban75.net/vbulletin/threads/276244-Coaches-in-bus-lanes-in-London?s=76e4898593d22424c95070a91bc87d19