[Tagging] RFC: new key Landcover

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Tue Nov 16 16:48:12 GMT 2010

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/landcover
[...]
> It is a value to describe physical characteristics of areas. It cannot
> be used on linear features (like surface).

So a sand-covered path would be tagged as surface=sand, but a
sand-covered area as landcover=sand? I still don't quite get why we need
two different tags here, and what routability has to do with anything.

Maybe a few examples can help clarify this: What key would I use to
describe the surface of a race track in a stadium - landcover or
surface? It will not commonly be used for routing, but could reasonably
be drawn as a linear way. Would the same surface material on the
basketball court next to it (clearly an area, not linear) be tagged
differently?

Tobias Knerr