[Tagging] RFC: new key Landcover

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Tue Nov 16 19:45:20 GMT 2010

Am 16.11.2010 18:48, schrieb Richard Welty:
> On 11/16/10 12:43 PM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>>
>> no, that would be surface as well. I'd say the distinction is between
>> the surface and the coverage (which comprises the surface).
>> surface=bush or tree would not make any sense IMHO. surface=asphalt is
>> fine for the surface, the landcover would be the street which is not
>> only the surface of the street.
> my attempt at clarification: surface is used where the mapped
> entity is man-made (or modified, e.g. dirt roads.)
While I understand, what you mean, there is a weakness in that logic:
A path in the wood made by humans is man-made - so you would tag it e.g.
as surface=dirt; but if it's made by animals on their way to the water,
it's landcover=dirt?

On the other hand the "Lüneburger Heide" in Germany is man-made some 100
years ago by exploitation of the woods (kept as it is by extensive sheep
pasturing). So here it's surface?

Just for further thinking about.

regards
Peter