[Tagging] RFC: new key Landcover

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 21:22:44 GMT 2010

2010/11/16 Morten Kjeldgaard <mok at bioxray.dk>:
> surface is a property of something man-made, i.e. it's in the human
> geography domain. It makes perfect sense for roads and traffic
> infrastructure. As a matter of lingual preference, I also prefer "surface"
> to describe something 2-dimensional, i.e. I do not like e.g.
> surface=building. Generally, surface is the property of something else.

I partly agree, but surface is not limited to man made. There is also
the surface of a water body (lake, ...) for instance. Surface is about
the surface. I agree with your statement in your other post: surface
is not suited for soil, geology or anything else that is above or
below the surface. Surface is 2-dimensional, a very thin layer.

cheers,
Martin