[Tagging] RFC: new key Landcover

john at jfeldredge.com john at jfeldredge.com
Tue Nov 16 21:38:04 GMT 2010

To expand upon my earlier example, imagine a sandy beach with some exposed rock outcroppings, and sand dunes with beach grass growing on them.  The entire area would be tagged with natural=beach.  Exposed rocks would be tagged with surface=rock, and the rest with surface=sand.  In addition, areas with beach grass would be tagged with landcover=beach_grass.  The reason for tagging areas with beach grass or other vegetation is that you are generally forbidden from driving on or otherwise damaging the vegetation, as this would allow the sand dunes to shift position when the wind blows.