[Tagging] geology taggin?

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Wed Nov 17 20:29:50 GMT 2010

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 21:11:18 +0100
Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at googlemail.com> wrote:

> It is accepting that semantically different things can reside under
> the same key and that this doesn't cause any problems - except for
> people like you that seem to think that a systematic approach is a
> value in itself.

There are good reason for keeping semantically different things in
different groups.
1. the new mapper.
I remember trying to work out, with multiple wiki pages open, how
something was described, and then tagging it. It took forever, and then
the editors improved their presets and I remembered more of them. I
challenge you to explain to a new mapper why cafe is under amenity and
bakery is under shop, when they live in an area where bakeries include
cafes as their normal state.
2. finding if someone has already described this item or not
When items in the real world haven't got an OSM tag, how do I find the
comprehensive list of features and search it?
So there are shops that sell building bricks. Outdoor display area,
with brick walls to show the bricks for sale, and a little office for
the salesperson. Shop? Amenity? Light industrial? Office?
If we don't tag with rational schemes we will have multiple duplicate
tags simply because people can't find the place where the tag was
placed in the schema.