[Tagging] How to tag a (main) entrance to a large feature?

Mike N. niceman at att.net
Thu Nov 18 11:58:58 GMT 2010

> I don't know if it's legal to park here and walk around the gate into
> the park, but assume for the sake of argument that it is. How do we
> tell the router to instead use the main entrance to the south?

   In this case, the way in the photo can be properly tagged as a
service/driveway and /or track to help direct routers to another entrance.
I recently found this exact situation where hordes of lost park-goers coming
from the north were directed to the back gate which is permanently locked.
I was able to tag the back entrance as service/driveway because the gate is
never open and the only normal access is for the ranger - even though I
think the road is still named as Lake Road in the official county records
(which I cannot access).

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=41.85594&mlon=-89.9528&zoom=15&layers=M

   I had also reported the problem to Google and interestingly enough they
corrected the problem similarly.    Bing still sends southbound people to
the back entrance.

  I can still see problems where there are multiple entrances, the "closed
entrance" is also a paved road but has a gate that never opens.   For that
case, the non public entrances should be marked as access=private or
something similar.

   I'm a bit confused as to the best way to mark an entrance - the
description of barrier=entrance doesn't match the case of an "Entrance gate"
where the gate is both a barrier and an official entrance.