[Tagging] FW :Re: RFC: new key Landcover

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 20:01:26 GMT 2010

2010/11/18 Ralf Kleineisel <ralf at kleineisel.de>:
> On 11/18/2010 04:32 AM, john at jfeldredge.com wrote:
>
>> So, you would be using multiple surface tags on the same area?
>
> No, I'd tag the whole beach as landuse=beach, the sandy areas as
> surface=sand and the grass parts as surface=grass.

really? You are tagging single grass blades? This sounds detailed. Can
you point us to a spot where you did this?

Honestly, this answer is not satisfying because there would be sand
also where there is grass. But this case is not the usecase of neither
of the tagging versions we have been talking about above. We could
make it such though: landcover could become natural_cover (for the
plants that grow there) and surface would be the surface of the
ground. Semantically I still don't think that surface is a good tag
for landcover (and I wonder that John Smith does), but if you all
agree to use it, I would be willing to subordinate.

cheers,
Martin