[Tagging] Groups of islands, how to tag?

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 15:44:20 GMT 2010

2010/11/19 Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>:

>> That definition is correct - for single islands. "piece" should
>> probably be changed to "piece (or group of pieces)" to make it work
>> for archipelagos, and fit with the general intention of the key (to
>> determine what priority should be given to labels)
>
> It's not exactly unheard of to extend the class "island" this way; for
> instance search http://geonames.usgs.gov/domestic/ for name "islands"
> and feature class island.

I wouldn't do it like this, even if the USGS does it like this. I
would use island for a single island and something else for a group of
islands. I wouldn't use "islands" either, because that is too close.
Archipelago sounds OK. I wouldn't even require a place tag. A name on
the multipolygon could be sufficient (as suggested in my first post).

cheers,
Martin