[Tagging] tagging no truck access in US

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 21:58:07 GMT 2010

2010/11/19 Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com>:
>> The hgv-class is defined for vehicles over 3.5 t, if your legislation
>> has different weight limits I'd suggest to introduce a different
>> value/key and document that on the access-page in the wiki.
>>

> No, why ? If the min/max weight is different, then improve the "Heavy Goods
> Vehicle" definition to local laws and don't create a new key saying the same
> thing.

it is not the same thing. Do you have "goods" in France? In Germany we
don't have this class and nobody had the idea to "improve the
definition" and invent a use for something that isn't applicable.

> This will simplify to live of editors, developers and data consumers.

no, it would horribly complicate their lifes, as they would have to
figure out for every feature where it is in order to understand the
meaning of the tag. It is not impossible but it is time consuming.

> Look what was done for primaries, secondaries, etc. They don't have a
> different name just because the speed limit is different in each country:

because they don't imply any speed limit. Speedlimits are maxspeed. It
is a difference if a abstract key like

cheers,
Martin