[Tagging] Charity tagging

Sean Horgan sean.horgan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 20:36:47 GMT 2010

In the discussion during the social facility proposal, we thought about
shops:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/social_facility

<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/social_facility>but
left it that shop=charity was more appropriate.  However, we do have
social_facility=food_bank which is a step towards a charity-oriented shop,
one that specifically gives away food.

Thinking about it from an end-user perspective, I could see 2 types of
people with respect to charitable merchandise:

1. Those that are looking for a place to donate goods, whether they are
food, clothing, household items, book, even a car
2. Those that are looking for a place to buy second-hand/cheap goods from a
store that has social welfare as a higher priority than profits

In either case, the shop key handles the description of the actual
merchandise (shop=clothes, shop=books, etc).  I think a new type of social
facility would help describe the business model as Laurence mentioned:

social_facility=shop

So for both types of users, they would add the social_facility=shop tag to
their search.  We may want to have an explicit "donation={yes,no}" tag, I'm
not sure if that is necessary.

Sean