[Tagging] operator and brand WAS: Re: community centres

Simone Saviolo simone.saviolo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 11:00:36 BST 2010

2010/10/1 Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Simone Saviolo <simone.saviolo at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> -1. He is not.
>>

> When I say "you", it's not one specific person but the (small) group pushing
> for the adoption of "brand" and "operator" to replace the tag "name" when
> the specific local name is unknown. This is going to change something basic
> and simple that we have since the beginning for hundreds of thousands poi's
> already mapped. See how many fastfoods are tagged with "name=McDonalds" and
> not with "brand" or "operator". Or restaurant chains, bakers, supermarkets,
> shops, etc... Please, follow the KISS principle.

Probably there was a misunderstanding. The suggested schema for
name/brand/operator is not supposed to be disruptive - or at least
this is how I see it.

Ontologically, saying that the name of that specific fast-food is
"McDonald's" (old schema) may be acceptable. Commonly, you'd call it
"the McDonald's". The new schema is just more correct, in that it
recognizes as "McDonald's" isn't actually the name of that feature,
but its brand. As long as consumers use correctly the
name/brand/operator chain, though, it is not a problem to have them
both. Of course, with the old schema, if a specific McDonald's had its
own name, you would put that one in name=*, just like with the new
schema.

>From a consumer point of view, again, the new and the old schema work
well together. A consumer should present the feature to the user by
its name; if it's not available, by its brand, if it's not available,
by its operator; if it's not available, undefined (it may use, I don't
know, the description of the building type, or of the amenity type,
whatever). If a McDonald's is tagged with the new schema, the name
will be missing, and the consumer will use the brand ("McDonald's");
if it's tagged with the old schema, the name will be "McDonald's", and
there won't be much of a difference.

Unless we want to be picky, the old schema is fine. This new schema
(that isn't even really a "new" schema) is just being discussed to
give a more precise description of things, that's all.

> Pieren

Ciao,

Simone