[Tagging] Tagging average speed [Was: Re: Residential roads]

Ralf Kleineisel ralf at kleineisel.de
Sun Oct 3 16:16:10 BST 2010

On 10/03/2010 05:04 PM, Anthony wrote:

> Maybe it's just because of where I live, but I don't see how it would be.

Well, where I live (Germany) we have a legal limit of 100 kph on roads
outside of cities, motorways excluded. This legally applies even to
small roads if there is no sign indicating a lower limit. On many roads
you can achieve this speed, too. But on the other hand we have lots of
narrow, twisty country roads where a normal driver does not go faster
than 60 kph. In the Alps it is even more drastic. For estimating the
time someone will probably need to drive along a road this information
would be very helpful.

Even if we introduce this tag, nobody is forced to ever use it. If you
prefer to use the legal limit for your routing calculation that's just
fine. I would not change any of the existing tags, which are all
important as well.