[Tagging] What exactly is a greenfield?

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 10:11:27 BST 2010

2010/10/4 Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>:
> According to the wiki, landuse=greenfield "Describes land scheduled
> for new development where there have been no buildings before". Does
> this mean that any undeveloped land owned by a developer or zoned as
> planned development is a greenfield?

I would say any land zoned as planned development (land where there is
a right to build). I don't see a point in tagging land "owned by a
developer" but where there is no right to build, as such.

> If so, should a bug be filed on
> trac to render it less obtrusively than the construction/brownfield
> brown?

probably yes. I think there can be a huge difference between actual
constructions and a piece of land where maybe in the future there will
be build.

> Also, what if land with another landuse like farm is scheduled for new
> development?

Generally I'd say that the actual landuse (here landuse=farmyard)
overrules in such cases the plans, but otherwise you would have 2
- draw another time the exactly same geometry (or use 2 multipolygons
without inner in case there is no holes) and tag one as farmyard, the
other one as brownfield

or use
landuse=farmyard;brownfield

actually I put brownfield because there is already a building (seems
to fit to the wiki definition), but I'm not sufficiently familiar with
anglo-saxon construction terminology to decide whether this is the
right term in this context.

I'd personally prefer option 1 (separate objects with multipolygons)
because it allows for better association of other details like name
etc. which might well differ.

cheers,
Martin