[Tagging] Tagging average speed [Was: Re: Residential roads]

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Mon Oct 4 21:30:42 BST 2010

On 10/04/2010 05:51 AM, Elena ``of Valhalla'' wrote:
> On 2010-10-04 at 10:57:19 +0100, Woll Newall wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't use 'average speed' for the tag, because it implies something
>> else, but that's what the OP chose for this thread. 'traffic speed' or
>> something like that would be better.
>>
> I'm not a native speaker, so any improvement on the tag names is welcome.
>

>> [...]
>> If I go to the nearest main road to my house in between the hours of
>> 16:00 and 18:00 every weekday, I can measure the speed at which the
>> traffic is moving. It will be consistent every day. [...]
>> In UK cities, I expect many roads are like this. [...]
>>
> It is the same in many cities and town in Italy
>

>> Routing programs can't use heuristics to work out these speeds, they are
>> too dependent on local micro-conditions. But we can measure them.
>>
> +1, expecially the times that are considered rush hour or not are
> very dependent on local conditions, and not easily calculated
> from known osm data.

So, would we be tagging the average speed at rush hour, the average
speed when it isn't rush hour, or what?  There are going to be many
special non-rush-hour exceptions as well; for example, the average speed
past a sports stadium is going to be much slower during the periods
shortly before, and shortly after, an event at the stadium.