[Tagging] What exactly is a greenfield?

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Tue Oct 5 00:01:30 BST 2010

  On 04/10/2010 23:09, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> 2010/10/4 Nathan Edgars II<neroute2 at gmail.com>:
>> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 5:11 AM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
>>
>> I believe brownfield has the connotation of something substantial
>> having been there, like a military base or factory, that needs to be
>> cleaned up first.
>
> so basically "brownfield" is about contaminations and not about
> development?

I would say it describes an area that had previous man made development
on it, that the local authority gave planning permission to redevelop it
for, usually, commercial or residential usage.

This area could include contaminants such as oils, chemicals & (heavy)
metals etc.

>   What a strange landuse ;-)

It's a fairly common description in the UK or such cases.

> Would it be a brownfield if a
> factory is scheduled to become a forest?

I would say yes, although I'm not aware of a direct to forest
development in the UK. Quarries are often filled in & returned to green
land such as agricultural use etc.

Cheers
Dave F.