[Tagging] Tagging Overtaking Restrictions

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 7 07:16:46 BST 2010

  On 07/10/2010 01:03, Elena ``of Valhalla'' wrote:
> On 2010-10-06 at 21:20:08 +0200, Colin Smale wrote:
>> Some places but not all...At least in NL you are not allowed to turn
>> left or make a U-turn across a solid centre line, nor are you allowed to
>> cross the line to overtake anything at all.
> It's the same in Italy, but you can overtake if you are an ambulance
> or another emergency vehicle, so I believe it is worth to keep
> the different tagging.
I am not sure which "different tagging" you are referring to exactly..
Emergency vehicles usually have a blanket exemption from many traffic
laws, often only when they are using their blue flashing lights and
sirens. They can do pretty much anything anytime (as long as it is safe)
if it's an emergency. I don't see the point in tagging that separately.
This is a good example of where it would be useful to see the difference
between a physical barrier and a continuous line. Having said that,
sometimes they have dedicated bits of road with signs like "no entry
except for emergency vehicles" - I think these will be tagged access=no
emergency=yes.

Different jurisdictions have different definitions of "emergency" and
"emergency vehicle" - that would be a whole different discussion. In the
UK an ambulance driver was prosecuted for exceeding the speed limit
while carrying live organs for transplant between one hospital and
another. I think he was acquitted in the end, but it caused a lot of debate.