[Tagging] new Key proposal: landcover

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 18:58:34 BST 2010

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Brad Neuhauser <brad.neuhauser at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In general, I like the idea.  But I don't think the agricultural tags should
>> be changed from landuse--they describe how the land is used.  For example,
>> forest describes what covers the land (trees), while orchard describes what
>> those trees are used for (growing fruit).
>
> Not everything in a national forest is covered by trees, yet the
> standard way of tagging one is landuse=forest on an area.

To expand on this, I think landuse should be a more general thing,
usually applicable to the entirety of a plot of land or a larger area.
A single piece of farmland may have several different types of things
growing there. Similarly, a residential community may have small
neighborhood parks and playgrounds, and a heavy industrial park may
have factories and warehouses.