[Tagging] new Key proposal: landcover

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Thu Oct 7 19:56:52 BST 2010

Brad Neuhauser wrote:
> I'd forgotten about that--good point.  Although surface as currently
> used seems to be mainly in the context of roads.

There's nothing to limit it to roads - it "describes the surface of a
feature". For example, the natural=beach wiki page recommends it for
beaches, too.

I also don't see why the fact that an area is covered with sand should
be tagged differently depending on whether that area is used for
traffic. Therefore, I'd prefer to always use surface=* for this.

There are some landcover types that don't fit into the surface key,
though - such as trees. So maybe a new key would be useful anyway, but
just for those things that aren't covered by surface?

Generally, I'd very much appreciate a key that only describes what's
there, with nothing else (such as what's supposed to be there, or why it
is there) getting in the way.

Tobias Knerr