[Tagging] new Key proposal: landcover

Ralf Kleineisel ralf at kleineisel.de
Thu Oct 7 21:55:08 BST 2010

On 10/07/2010 10:22 PM, Nathan Edgars II wrote:

> That's why it's landuse=forest, not landcover=forest. A
> landuse=residential area isn't all houses (it includes yards,

That's why it is not landuse=house. A landuse=residential contains all
things that belong to a typical residential area, like buildings,
gardens etc. The buildings themselves are often tagged seperately.

> driveways, garages, streets, sidewalks) and a landuse=forest area
> isn't all trees.

But this is the way it is used. I've never seen a "landuse=forest"
that's not mainly trees. If a national forest as a legal entity contains
areas without trees I would not tag these areas as landuse=forest but as
grassland, farmland and so on. Even big imports like Corine Land Cover
France use it this way:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Corine_Land_Cover/Tagging_scheme

I know that legally a field may belong to a national forest, but it
shouldn't be tagged as a forest because it isn't one. Every topographic
or street map I know would show a border of a national forest as a sort
of border line, but the areas where trees grow as forest. So the
national park should be tagged as boundary=national_park or similiar.