[Tagging] new Key proposal: landcover

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 18:38:33 BST 2010

2010/10/7 Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Brad Neuhauser <brad.neuhauser at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not everything in a national forest is covered by trees, yet the
> standard way of tagging one is landuse=forest on an area.

Actually forest should IMHO be used for all parts that _are_ forest. A
national forest is not just a forest but is an area that is protected
and which is predominantly a forest. That should not be completely
landuse=forest in OSM IMHO. I would tag the forest parts as forest and
assign a boundary=protected_area
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary=protected_area
to the national forest (with other tags to define the status).

cheers,
Martin