[Tagging] Country names

Andrew Errington a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Oct 14 12:57:07 BST 2010

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 20:07:57 Pieren wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Andrew Errington <
>
> a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:
> > Furthermore, the convention that has been adopted is that
> > name=* should be the name in Hangul, followed by a space, followed by the
> > name in English in parentheses.
> >
> > So, as I see it, names should be rendered as follows
>
> This is exactly a good example of "tagging for the renderers". What OSM
> needs is a lot of local contributors. And for them, it is much easier to
> enter only one tag for the name and this in the local language. Other
> conventions are just workarounds for software issues.

Not really.  Street signs, roadsigns and other public signage is increasingly
being printed in Hangul and English.  However, when we get a renderer that
can render "name:ko + (name:en)" we can delete all name=* which have been
typed in that form and then rename name:ko=* to name=*

In the meantime we don't have that, so we have a workaround.

The fact that I can make a map in Korea in English is the main reason I became
involved in OSM.  I can make (and use) a map that is useful to me and the
other English-speakers I know.

Best wishes,

Andrew