[Tagging] Country names

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Thu Oct 14 13:59:32 BST 2010

  I'm not sure, if that's a good solution...
It's relatively simple and can be done automatically, but do it hit the
target?

For most Asian and Arabian countries that would help perhaps: the native
language uses other character (sub)sets and therefore the rest of the
world probably don't know how to read it, but let's consider Europe:

Deutschland => Germany: yes, sounds like a good idea for international use
France => France: sounds useless as these are the same (well - you
ignored same values in the query)
Belgien (german), /België/
<http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/Nl-Koninkrijk_Belgi%C3%AB.ogg>^
<http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilfe:Audio>
<http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Nl-Koninkrijk_Belgi%C3%AB.ogg>
(netherlands), /Belgique/ (france), Belgium (Englisch)... - is that
useful to put both onto the map? It's similar in a human mind, I think.

That in mind I would say, we should search for a more sophisticated
solution; and the best thing (while much work to do) would be to have
language specific label layers.

regards
Peter