[Tagging] How can the US get its stuff together? (was Re: Response to A critique of OpenStreetMap)

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sat Oct 16 23:18:03 BST 2010

On 10/16/2010 08:46 AM, Richard Weait wrote:

> So, highways and road culture play a large role in the life of many
> North Americans, there are even songs that we know like Route 66, and
> Highway 61 that show affection for specific roads.

I wonder if it's worth the trouble and effort to maintain US-HISTORIC
routes, since their use is primarily recreational and are frequently
inconsistent in their continued existence, and frequently their historic
posted alignments.  For example, OK-66 goes through Kellyville, though
the old US-66 alignment now runs abandoned and without pavement through
the property I'm on...