[Tagging] shop=kiosk

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 08:16:19 BST 2010

2010/10/18 Noel David Torres Taño <envite at rolamasao.org>:
> On Lunes 18 Octubre 2010 04:08:13 Richard Welty escribió:
>> On 10/17/10 11:00 PM, john at jfeldredge.com wrote:
>> > So, are you saying that a shop that was located in a kiosk building, but
>> > sold merchandise other than "cigarettes, newspapers, sweets, snacks and
>> > beverages" would have a tag building=kiosk, but would not have the tag
>> > shop=kiosk?
>>
>> what of "kiosks" in malls selling cheap jewelry, watches, cell phones,
>> etc.? do they not count?
> If they do not sell "cigarettes, newspapers, sweets, snacks and beverages"
> they are not shop=kiosk. They are shop=jewelry or shop=boutique or
> shop=mobile_phone.

which part of "cigarettes, newspapers, sweets, snacks and beverages"
is obligatory, which isn't? What if they sell only newspapers and
tickets for the public transport? I guess it's a newsagent then? What
do they have to add to their offer in order to become an OSM kiosk?

Around here there are lots of kiosks (the building type) that only
sell flowers, or books, or newspapers, or food. These are all _OR_s.
They do IMHO qualify to be called kiosk in natural language. There is
almost none of them that sells cigarettes though (local cultural
habits).

To the typology: kiosks are traditionally freestanding small
solitaires, but in some regions the meaning of kiosk evolved and now
is applicable also to shops selling through a hole in the wall (the
examples given above by Peter). Still this doesn't mean that any shop
selling cigarettes and newspapers will qualify for kiosk: this is
still about typology (and in this I disagree with Ulf's definition
that kiosk has nothing to do with typology: it is a word for 2 similar
kinds of typology (or better one which is selling through a window
which is common to both subtypes).

cheers,
Martin