[Tagging] Paper streets?

Andrew S. J. Sawyer assawyer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 16:18:07 BST 2010

Can we just call/tag "paper streets" as such? "highway=paper_street" any
incarnation of tagging paper streets in a way that indicates that they have
been approved as streets but have not been built or have been disused (in
the physical sense).

additionally think they should be tagged from a legal/right-of-way framework
not a physical frame work since the street/right-of-way exists in a
legal declaration/agreement. This framework is important for mapping because
paper streets can create headaches for people who wish to build on their own
property and find out they can't because there is an ancient street that
exists only on paper. Also, many paper streets allow for public and/or
private "rights-of-way" over the given area so it is helpful for passage
purposes so people can follow an appropriate route.

Rendering paper streets will be up to the renders since there isn't a
physical path in many cases to the "paper street." I am a firm believer that
physical objects should be in one category for mapping and legal/conceptual
objects be placed in another category. Both have their importance, but
people should learn to differentiate them and not have tags that cross these
categories. OSM should (and I think does a good job at this) of having
different tags according to the respective categories.

Andrew