[Tagging] [Talk-us] how to tag US townships?

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 18:45:19 BST 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 12:06 AM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> another approach from the same page is titled "dominance" where
> dominance expresses the distance to the next "higher" (in terms of
> importance / population) place. The higher (in terms of distance) the
> more dominant.
>
> This serves to determine which names to show and which to omit. (in
> scarse areas you would want to see also smaller places, but in
> concentrated areas you will have to omit also big cities in favour of
> even bigger (or more important according to a scheme like the above
> described one) ones.

This sounds very much like the concept of topographic prominence
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topographic_prominence> wherein subpeaks
of high mountains aren't that important compared to the main peak
despite having a high absolute elevation.

On the other hand, how will this dominance play out in twin cities
such as Minneapolis-St. Paul? I find it likely that a normal renderer
will pick out one of these cities, place the label and ignore the
other because the space is already occupied, when what is expected is
that these two cities are both labeled.