[Tagging] [Talk-us] how to tag US townships?

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 19:03:01 BST 2010

2010/10/20 Peter Budny <peterb at gatech.edu>:
>> 1) whether this matrix influences what "place" level the city
>> gets (or maybe these are all large enough cities, so this point
>> doesn't matter)
>
> I think that if this dominance scheme (or something like it) were used,
> place= would become irrelevant except to mark the actual legal status of
> something besides what admin_level= tells us.  That is, in the US where
> cities, towns, and townships are all admin_level=8, place= could tell us
> which is which, but otherwise would have no bearing on the labeling.

this would depend on the desired rendering and the abilities of who
does the rendering.

>> and 2) what is the mechanism to get this info to the
>> label renderer, because I don't see anything on the "place" node.
>
> I suppose we could just tag all place markers with a
> city_dominance_score= tag... or we could just add a step in the
> rendering pipeline to calculate it automatically from various datasets
> and some rules.

I could imagine to solve this entirely with tags
place:students_count=45000
regional_centre=main
place:airports=4
place:harbours=1
capital=national/federal/etc.
etc.

and let the renderer calculate an "importance index" out of this. You
could also use relations to pull the student numbers and stuff from
the university objects, to get the number of airports etc. (attach
them with role=airport, ... to the place-relation). This would enable
the one who writes the render rules to decide which information he
wants to use (and which is the weight he gives to it).

I'd prefer granular information over a precalculated "city_dominance_score"

> That would make it much easier to generate varying maps based on what
> the user considers "important", e.g. driving directions vs sightseeing
> vs geo-political maps.

+1

> However, I'm not sure whether it's worth making the rendering process
> more complicated just to add that.

IMHO it is. I think it is crucial for the quality of the rendering
which places are shown when (and which have to be omitted).

cheers,
Martin