[Tagging] how to tag US townships?

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Wed Oct 20 19:42:13 BST 2010

On 10/20/2010 01:24 PM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> 2010/10/20 Alex Mauer<hawke at hawkesnest.net>:
>> The definitions are well-established.
>
> but they are not reflected in the (international/main part of) the
> wiki for key=place.

Oh? Every language version of
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place says approximately the same
thing.

The numbers differ slightly, but they’re all based upon population.

Germany lowers the village max size to 2000 and hamlet to 200.
France uses the normal definitions, but lowers hamlet to 100.
Italy uses the normal definitions for city and town, but their own for
village/hamlet/isolated_dwelling.
Russia uses the normal definitions.
I can’t read the Ukrainian one at all, but it looks like they use the
normal definition for city, and their own for everything else.
No clue on the Chinese one, but I’d guess that at least city is the
same, based on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City#China_.28People.27s_Republic_of_China.29

> I don't know if the British do tag strictly according to the place
> description, but I know that Italians and Germans don't. In Europe a
> town can be quite small, but will still be a town and a village can
> nowadays be quite big and still remain a village.

Sure, but place=* is not the place to record the type of government.

> In the US I am not sure what are your criteria, what about density, I
> am also not sure how to tag downtowns (the space where your cities
> were until they were torn down in the 60ies and 70ies due to fear of
> riots (scnr, sorry, that's maybe not true for all of them) etc.

Why would the downtown portion of a city be tagged separately from the
rest of the city?  Maybe a boundary=administrative and admin_level=10.
Otherwise I can’t see a need.

—Alex Mauer “hawke”.