[Tagging] how to tag US townships?

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Wed Oct 20 20:30:09 BST 2010

On 10/20/2010 01:43 PM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> I guess that Tübingen is more known to the average German then
> Reutlingen, but that's just a guess. As written before, traditionally
> cartographers gave more importance to Tübingen, while in current
> automated internet cartography Tübingen looses almost always against
> Reutlingen. Maybe this is a reflection of a changed interpretation of
> importance but I fear it is simply a loss in quality...

Probably a bit of both.

Some more complicated set of heuristics for scoring the prominence of a
place would definitely be useful here (and everywhere).

It all depends upon what one wants to emphasise on a map.

One possible course of action would be to update the renderers to use
population (or a more complicated system) and then deprecate the place=*
tag for municipalities.  (place=island and place=islet obviously aren’t
relevant to this discussion).

Perhaps we need to shift the discussion to actually figuring out a
better replacement for place=*?

—Alex Mauer “hawke”