[Tagging] [Talk-us] how to tag US townships?

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Fri Oct 22 13:25:26 BST 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 1:05 AM, Peter Budny <peterb at gatech.edu> wrote:
> Anthony <osm at inbox.org> writes:

>> This question of mine was quoted but still not answered.
>
> To summarize/quote from
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_divisions_of_the_United_States

[snip]

> So in at least some cases, there's a need for admin_level=7 to
> express the hierarchy correctly.

What would be an example of a township that would be at admin_level=7?

I'm not saying you're wrong.  I just couldn't come up with an example.
 The townships that I've seen which overlap with cities/towns aren't
administrative areas, they just settlements.

>>> It’s not about whether they do that much; it’s about whether they’re
>>> administered by a government.  School boards are a part of the government
>>> yes, but they’re don’t govern the districts that they cover.
>>
>> Absolutely they do.
[snip]
> Because they are specialized, rather than general-purpose, I don't see
> how school districts belong in admin_level=.

Fair enough, but that's a completely different argument from "they
don't govern the districts that they cover".

I'm not sure what "general-purpose" means, either.  There are a lot of
counties, as pointed out, which don't do much of anything (in fact,
there are a lot of counties that don't do anything at all).

> What Anthony wrote seemed quite clear.

Thank you.