[Tagging] "new" highway tag for small and informal footpaths; trail

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 17:42:23 BST 2010

2010/10/22 Apollinaris Schoell <aschoell at gmail.com>:

> please no new highway, path/footway is already a very controversial tag.

Yes, and it could become a little clearer when there is different tags
for a 3 m wide and paved "path" and a 0.3 m wide and unpaved and
unmaintained "path". We have x road classes and just one for ways that
are not roads (given that footway, cycleway and bridleway are all
synonyms of highway=path designated=foo, dedicated=foo, official=foo,
etc.). I don't say stuff can't be expressed currently, but it would
make the life of mappers, renderers, routers much easier if there was
a way to put out the difference.

> why not add additional tags to path. path is very generic and we have a documented visibility tag

because it is not working now: we are trying this for years and there
is no renderer or other data consumer (AFAIK) that makes a difference.

cheers,
Martin